AIWAN SHAH CHIRAGH
Aiwan Shah Chirag is located next to Lahore High Court Building on Mall road Lahore.This complex was made during British time from 1875-80 around the mausoleum and mosque of the famous saint Shah Chiragh.
Many government offices were made in this complex which included offices of deputy commissioner and Auditor General Punjab. Apart from this session court was also established in this complex for some time and later it also hosted Autralasia Bank. After partition this was Auditor General’s office. In 1973 this building was taken over by Aukaf Department.
The building is made in Indo Sarcenic style, with beautiful intricate arches and domes and jali work. The masonry throughout is of the best description, faced with dressed bricks; the moldings over pillars, arches, doors and windows being in cut bricks. Small white domes are made on the corners of the building to match the white dome of the mausoleum and mosque.
On 12th august 2000 governor general Punjab visited the mausoleum and ordered the mosque and the mausoleum and the whole complex to be renovated and brought back to its original condition.
Inauguration of the new renovated building was done by President Pervez Musharraf on 28th October 2000.
Presently The Aiwan has offices of lawyers on the ground floor and on the first floor there is a beautiful library of Aukaf department.
The garden in front of the building is now used as a parking lot.
MASOLEUM OF SHAH CHIRAGH LAHORI
The ancestors of Abdul Razzak, alias Shah Chiragh, were residents of Uch, in Bahawalpur, and their pedigree joins the celebrated saint of Gilan, Muhy-Ud-Din, and known as Pir Dastagir.
Shah Chiragh flourished in the days of Shah Jahan, and died in 1068 A.H. (1657 A.D). The present mausoleum was raised to his memory by the order of the emperor Aurangzeb. There are total eight graves in the mausoleum including the grave of Shah Chirag’s father and grandfather.
The building is designed in traditional Mughal style of architecture. The exterior of the tomb is made from lime stone and the interior is decorated with beautiful floral frescoes on walls and ceiling. The mausoleum is square in plan, its facades decorated with cusped arch niches and cartouches set within a paneled scheme.
The mosque on the west of the mausoleum was built during the reign of Mughal Emperor Muhammad Shah Rangeela, by the order of his viceroy of Lahore Khan Bahadur Zikriya Khan in 1716. It was built with the money obtained by the sale of the ornaments belonging to the Nawab’s mother, who had made a will to that effect.
During Sikh period this mosque was used for weapons storage and during British rule it was used as the private residence of deputy commissioner. According to Kanaihya Lal three deputy commissioners got a chance to live here. In 1935 after the incident of Shahid Ganj Mosque this mosque was restored for Muslims.
This mosque is built in traditional Mughal style. It has five domes. the center dome is larger in size then the rest of the domes. During restoration the frescoes on the Mimbar and Mehrab had been restored and red sandstone from Agra is used for the stairs.
Where the shrine now is, there existed in the time of the Muslim Emperors, a mohalla or quarters, of the old city of Lahore, called the Langer Khan Quarters. The Langar Khan was a Baloch and a follower of Shah Chiragh.
Lahore, the architectural heritage: Lucy peck
Tareekh Lahore: Kanhaiyya Lala